[IPython-user] Re: XEmacs execute buffers/regions only once

Alexander Schmolck a.schmolck at gmx.net
Thu Jun 10 11:18:13 CDT 2004

Alexis Gallagher <alexis at alexisgallagher.com> writes:

> Alexander Schmolck wrote:
>
> [snip]
>> OK, could you tell me what happens if you try:
>> C-h v py-shell-input-prompt-1-regexp   (ought to be "^In \\[[0-9]+\\]: ")
>> M-: (featurep 'ipython) (ought to be t)
>
> Yup, those are exactly the values I found.
>
> Another observation: I just double-checked and I'm getting exactly the same
> problem when I run XEmacs in text console with TERM=ansi. Under that
> configuration, the colorization of the ipython buffer within xemacs is a bit
> off -- in "In [2]:", for instance, only the "2]:" are colored blue. I'm not
> sure if this is a clue to XEmacs's parsing problem.

Quite possibly (this definitely should not happen)-- maybe something is
screwed up with Xemacs/OS X? Is there anybody else on this list who uses the
same configuration?

Could you check what happens in GNU Emacs?

> A second point: On the first call to py-execute buffer (say), I get the usual
> message " ### working on region in file [tempfile]". The second call then
> fails, as I described. But when I call py-clear-queued, minibuffer message
> tells me that _2_ queued files were cleared. So this again confirms that the
> first operation is never terminating in the eyes of the ipython parser.

I fear if everything else fails, you will have to debug it yourself by
stepping through the code (or inserting 'message's etc). I can't currently see
where the problem might come from.

> And a hypothesis: Is it possible the .el files in ipython-emacs-0.3.tgz out of
> psync with ipython 0.50?

No, I don't think so (ipython-emacs-0.3.tgz is the latest from the ipython
webpage, right?)

I will send you the ipython.el and python-mode.el I personally use, just to
absolutely sure. If you check with C-h f python-mode that you are actually
using the right file (which, unlike unfiddled python-mode.el should contain
lines starting with `ipython'), and you are then I really don't have a clue
what the problem might be (oh, one other thing you could try running xemacs
with -vanilla and loading the stuff by hand; that will make sure that there is
no interaction between other configuration options).

'as