[IPython-user] Trouble with ipython inside (X)Emacs on Windows

Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Jun 24 19:22:58 CDT 2004

Hi Michael,

Quoting Michael Drumheller <drumheller at alum.mit.edu>:

> I am brand-new to ipython.  I am having a devil of a time getting
> it to work inside of (X)Emacs on the PC.  Has anyone had success
> with this?

Well, it's not meant to be that hard, so hopefully we can find a way out.  Are
you running Windows or Linux? In Linux it works pretty much out of the box, if
you use the emacs python mode and ipython.el from:

http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/ipython-emacs-0.3.tgz

along with the instructions in

http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/manual/node3.html#SECTION00034000000000000000

But since you say that you're having a real hard time, I suspect you've done
this already.

On the other hand, Windows users _have_ reported difficulties, and I don't have
access to Windows myself.

But Alex Schmolck, the author of the (X)Emacs support code, may be able to
provide some help if you post some details.  If your log is too big, just post
it somewhere web-available so only those interested access it.

I hope we can give you a hand with this.

Regards,

Fernando