[IPython-user] Tab complete problem under Cygwin

Travis Caldwell travis_caldwell2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 25 00:04:46 CDT 2004

 Hi,

 I installed ipython 0.6.0 under cygwin on Windows XP
and it mostly works, but I see some strange tab
complete behavior.

 Basically, when I tab complete, I see the last 2-3
charecters of the input line get duplicated.

 Also, when I start a ":" block the prompt changes to
"...: m" and I think it should be just "...".

 If I hack /usr/bin/ipython to add the '-v' flag to
python, I see that readline is being loaded as
follows:

dlopen("/usr/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload/readline.dll",
2);
import readline # dynamically loaded from
/usr/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload/readline.dll

Checking on the cygwin site, it seems that this is the
readline dll included from the python cygwin package:
http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=python%2Fpython-2.3.4-2&grep=python

 Any help with this problem would be greatly
appreciated.

Here's the log of the issue:
(I added the <TAB> to show where I hit tab.
$ ipython
Python 2.3.4 (#1, Jun 13 2004, 11:21:03)
Type "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
information.

?       -> Introduction to IPython's features.
@magic  -> Information about IPython's 'magic' @
functions.
help    -> Python's own help system.
object? -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works,
?? prints more.

In [1]: "".<TAB>
"".__add__           "".__reduce__        "".istitle
<snip>
"".__new__           "".isspace

In [1]: ""."".
In [2]: "foo".<TAB>