[IPython-user] Tab complete problem under Cygwin

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Jun 25 02:33:28 CDT 2004

Travis Caldwell wrote:
>  I initially saw this problem on the cygwin bash shell
> runinig directly from the Win XP desktop.

I believe the best way to get readline support under the 'normal' (cmd.exe I
think it's called) WinXP termianl is via Gary Bishop's readline library.  The
code in current CVS will auto-configure ipython to load it correctly, I think
0.6.0 didn't quite have this yet.

>  I tried it in an xterm window running in the cygwin
> version of X and saw the same behavior.
>
>  I don't have a copy of rxvt under cgwin, but I can
> try and get one.
>
>  In both shells I able to use other programs (ls
> --color, vi,...) which use terminal escapes and I also
> have up-arrow/down-arror history which I assume is
> using some readline style functionality. I can also
> get tab completion to work directly in the shell.
>
>  The colored text functions of IPython all seem to
> work fine.

There is some up/down arrow functionality in the normal WinXP command window,
and that thing can indeed display coloring.  The problem is that it doesn't
honor normal ANSI escapes, so Gary's readline does the magic of translating
between ANSI escapes and whatever it is that the WinXP cmd.exe understands.

But there may be other problems as well, since you are seeing the issue with
an xterm as well.  I just tested an xterm on my box (FedoraCore1 laptop) and
it works fine, but that doesn't necessarily mean much.

Let's hope someone with good success under Windows/cygwin can post better
info.  I'd actually very much appreciate if a Windows user could summarize a
bit the various combinations of things that work/don't.  I think it would be
great to include this information in the manual.  Now I describe the procedure
for using Gary's library, but some cygwin details would help a lot, along with
potential pitfalls/workarounds.

Best,