[IPython-user] Tab complete problem under Cygwin

Travis Caldwell travis_caldwell2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 25 15:42:55 CDT 2004

 I'm by no means a cygwin expert, but I don't think that cmd.exe gets
involved when I run the cygwin shell from the XP desktop.

 I'm running the shell via the desktop shortcut which points to
cygwin.bat.

 cygwin.bat chdirs to \cygwin\bin and then runs:
"bash --login -i"

 In this bash shell, vi, coloring and shell tab completion work fine.

>> I don't think so because "the last 2-3 charecters of the input line
>> get duplicated". I've reported that in March:
>> http://www.scipy.net/pipermail/ipython-user/2004-March/000223.html

 This seems like the problem that I am seeing. I also see the problem
go away when I set '@colors NoColor'

 The fact that the problem only occurs with color tunred on makes me
think that someone is doing math based on the number of bytes in the
current input line. With colors off, the number of bytes equals the
number of printable characters. With color on, the input line can
contain non-printing escape sequences which throws off the math.

 Since this problem occurs in both bash.exe and xterm, it seems like an
interaction between ipython and the readline dll which comes with
cygwin python.

 I looked at Gary Bishop's pacakge and it seems like it was meant for a
pure windows python rather then under cygwin.

 Again I'm no cygwin expert, but I thought that binaries compiled for
windows and ones compiled for cygwin were not interchangeable.

           _Travis_Caldwell_