[IPython-user] Tab complete problem under Cygwin

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Jun 25 16:12:44 CDT 2004

Travis Caldwell wrote:

>  I'm running the shell via the desktop shortcut which points to
> cygwin.bat.
>
>  cygwin.bat chdirs to \cygwin\bin and then runs:
> "bash --login -i"

Could you please 'echo $TERM' here so I know what it says?

>  The fact that the problem only occurs with color tunred on makes me
> think that someone is doing math based on the number of bytes in the
> current input line. With colors off, the number of bytes equals the
> number of printable characters. With color on, the input line can
> contain non-printing escape sequences which throws off the math.
>
>  Since this problem occurs in both bash.exe and xterm, it seems like an
> interaction between ipython and the readline dll which comes with
> cygwin python.

That's true, as is your guess on the line length.  There are indeed hidden
characters inside the strings.  It might be possible to trick cygwin's shell
into working correctly.

But I'd really like to know what terminal emulator cygwin gives you by
default, and also if you get the same problem under rxvt.  I have a vague
memory that _old_ xterms had this problem even under Linux ages ago, and it's
possible that cygwin ships with the same.

>  I looked at Gary Bishop's pacakge and it seems like it was meant for a
> pure windows python rather then under cygwin.

That is correct.