[IPython-user] help issues

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Sun Jun 27 23:47:17 CDT 2004

Arnd Baecker wrote:

> I just tested the current CVS version wrt to the help problems
> (in connnection with scipy).
> Most of the things I also saw to happen with a normal
> python prompt (see my mail on scipy-user).
> However the ones below seem to be IPython triggered.
> I am not sure if it is worth tackling these already at
> this point, i.e. as long as the other problems
> with the normal python prompt exist, as the
> solution on the IPython side might depend on the solution
> taken there.

Sorry for ignoring this for a while.  I basically took your last sentence to
heart and left it at that :)  And indeed, until scipy's import infrastructure
works 100% ok with the normal python help system, I'm a bit reluctant to
implement ipython-specific hacks.  Scipy does so many weird things at import
time (for good reasons, but still, it's very hackish) that I'd rather tackle
it only when absolutely necessary.

But if you feel that things have settled a bit at the pure python level, let
me know and I'll definitely do it.

In as much as possible, I'd like 0.6.1 to come out with all known,
reproducible problems fixed.  So feel free to speak up.