[IPython-user] Re: IPython WinXP readline support

Marc Sibson bypassmuss at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 30 16:37:37 CDT 2004

Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez <at> colorado.edu> writes:
> It's quite possible that you have Gary's readline under 2.3 and something else
> under 2.2, or some other combination.  It's also true that using 0.6.0, Gary's
> readline is NOT auto-configured by ipython (though it can be done manually).
> Current CVS code does auto-configure Gary's library, and that's what will
> become 0.6.1.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Best,

Hello,

Thanks for the quick response.  I was doing clean installs between tests.

After some further digging I found the problem.  ctypes relies on win32con from
the pywin32 package found at
http://www.python.org/download/download_windows.html.  I didn't notice the
dependency documented anywhere, nor do I know why it silently failed to import
it, but as soon as I installed pywin32 auto-complete + colors worked.

cheers,
marcs