[IPython-user] interactive help question

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Mar 2 15:56:40 CST 2004

Pearu Peterson wrote:

> You must be using a very old version of scipy_base as in the current
> version line #223 contains something different.

Quite possible.  The scipy I have works for what I am using it, and I've been
too busy lately to keep updating to current CVS.

> So, I fail to reproduce the failure with the recent scipy.
>

>>So in this case, blame scipy's ppimport magic for breaking the help system,
>>not my poor ipython :)
>

> Both ppimport and ipython do some magic with importing modules and it may
> be possible that mixing these magic hooks may cause strange errors.
>
> However, the error that Arnd reported has little to do with the ppimport
> stuff. Here follows a _pure_ ipython session where _no_ scipy modules have
> been imported and it demonstrates failure in ipython:
>
> pearu at p4:~$ ipython
> Python 2.3.3 (#2, Feb 24 2004, 09:29:20)
>
> IPython 0.4.0 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
> ?       -> Introduction to IPython's features.
> @magic  -> Information about IPython's 'magic' @ functions.
> help    -> Python's own help system.
> object? -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works, ?? prints more.
>
> In [1]: def foo():
>    ...:   ' string'
>    ...:   pass
>    ...:
>
> In [2]: help(foo)

Mmh, same problem in reverse :)  With the ipython in my local machine, the
above works flawlessly.  However, I can't ask any of you to confirm this,
because my personal copy has a bunch of bugfixes which I haven't even
committed to CVS yet, they only exist on my own machines.

So in summary, it appears from combining Pearu's and my tests, that the
problem Arnd reported doesn't really exist ;-)  It's just that you need to be
using a current scipy and my personal copy of ipython for everything to work!

Sorry for not having updated either my scipy nor the public ipython CVS, it
would have saved everyone some wasted time.  At least I'll try to commit what
I've done to ipython to public CVS as soon as I can free some time.

Thanks for your tests.

Regards,

Fernando.

ps. Pearu, are you subscribed to the ipython-user list from a different
address than <pearu at cens.ioc.ee> ?  Your message was bounced by the ipython
list manager at scipy, I only got the personal copy you sent me.  If you want
me to, I can update your subscription info to prevent this problem from
recurring, let me know.  I've disabled non-subscriber posts to control the
spam flood we were getting.