[IPython-user] Re: exception with help()

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Sat Mar 6 16:14:19 CST 2004

Thorsten Kampe wrote:

>>So there are in fact two problems
>>
>>1. Why does an exception occur with less?
>>2. Why does IPython try to use less (instead of most)?
>

> Okay, the latter was an easy one (although I don't understand it): I
> didn't export $PAGER so it wasn't part of the environment under
> Cygwin. (But I didn't export it under Gentoo Linux either - and it was
> "magically" part of the environment).
>
> But the problem still exists: IPython "crashes" with less/most while
> the plain vanilla Python shell has no problems with both of them)

Mmh, I'm not really sure and I don't have access to a windows box to test
with.  But try setting as your $PAGER 'less -r' instead of 'less'.  This might
help, since it may be that the control characters used by ipython for coloring
are confusing less in the default mode.  Also, please test by setting '@colors
nocolor' and let me know if the problem remains.  This will at least clarify
whether the color escape sequences are causing it.

Also, if any Cygwin user has any suggestions, they'd be more than welcome.  My
help for Windows users always tends to fall way short, unfortunately.