[IPython-user] broken completion

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Sat Mar 6 16:18:14 CST 2004

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> This happens when I try to use completion in IPython 0.5.0 under
> Cygwin:
>
> Python 2.3.3 (#1, Dec 30 2003, 08:29:25)
>
> IPython 0.5.0 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
> ?       -> Introduction to IPython's features.
> @magic  -> Information about IPython's 'magic' @ functions.
> help    -> Python's own help system.
> object? -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works, ?? prints more.
> 1% abs( [Tab]
> Display all 198 possibilities? (y or n) n
> 1% abs(bs(5)
>        ^^^ this is inserted but the interpreter doesn't see it - so
>            [Enter] ->
> 1: 5
> 2% abs( [Tab]
> Display all 203 possibilities? (y or n) n
> 2% abs(bs( [Bksp] [Bksp] [Bksp]
>        ^^^ ...to erase this
> 2% abs(5) [Enter]
>    File "<console>", line 1
>      a5)
>        ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> In a standard Python shell it works (no "bs(" is inserted by [Tab]).
> And on my Gentoo Linux it also works with plain Python shell *and*
> IPython.

Again, my lack of access to a Windows box is going to make this quite tricky
to track down.  Do you know if cygwin uses the default Gnu readline library
for completions, or are you using Chris Drexler's PyReadlineWin32?  If you are
using Chris' code, we can try to contact him for further assistance, he would
probably have more ideas than me.

Regards,

Fernando