[IPython-user] Re: Re: exception with help()

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Sat Mar 6 18:47:39 CST 2004

* Fernando Perez (2004-03-06 23:14 +0100)
> Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>>> 2. Why does IPython try to use less (instead of most)?
>> [...] But the problem still exists: IPython "crashes" with
>> less/most while the plain vanilla Python shell has no problems
>> with both of them)
>
> Mmh, I'm not really sure and I don't have access to a windows box
> to test  with.  But try setting as your $PAGER 'less -r' instead of
> 'less'.  This might  help, since it may be that the control
> characters used by ipython for coloring  are confusing less in the
> default mode.

I already had "export LESS=IMQRSJW" in my .zshrc. '-r' and 'R' are
mostly equivalent. But it happens, too, now that I exported $PAGER as
'most' and IPython tries to use it. Python shell happily works with
'most'.

> Also, please test by setting '@colors  nocolor' and let me know if
> the problem remains.  This will at least clarify  whether the color
> escape sequences are causing it.

I tested it. It's still there.

What about the last line of the traceback "OSError: [Errno 11]
Resource temporarily unavailable"? Seems to be a Python error for me.
Which resource is Python/IPython trying to access and what does it
mean "temporarily unavailable"? Does the Python shell use another
"resource" than IPython?

> My  help for Windows users always tends to fall way short,
> unfortunately.

No need for an insult. I rarely use Windows - I use Cygwin.

Thorsten