[IPython-user] Re: Re: exception with help()

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Mon Mar 8 09:48:28 CST 2004

Thorsten Kampe wrote:

> * Fernando Perez (08.03.2004 06:51 +0100)
>>That doesn't exonerate ipython, however, since the problem may be indirectly
>>triggered by ipython.  But it's going to be tricky to pin it down.  Another
>>thing to test would be:
>

>>import os
>>pipe=os.popen('less','w')
>

>>both in a normal python shell and in ipython, under a Cygwin setup.  If this
>>causes a problem in ipython, hopefully the actual culprit code will be
>>clearer.  If you see a problem, please set 'xmode Verbose' so that the
>>reported exception has as much detail as possible.
>

> This is the one in IPython:
> ,---
> | Python 2.3.3 (#1, Dec 30 2003, 08:29:25)
> | Type "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
> |
> | IPython 0.5.0 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
> | ?       -> Introduction to IPython's features.
> | @magic  -> Information about IPython's 'magic' @ functions.
> | help    -> Python's own help system.
> | object? -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works, ?? prints more.
> | 1% import os
> | 2% xmode Verbose
> | Exception reporting mode: Verbose
> | 3% pipe=os.popen('less','w')
> |      10 [main] python2.3 2896 sync_with_child: child 3032(0x6D4) died before initialization with status code 0x1
> |    9375 [main] python2.3 2896 sync_with_child: *** child state child loading dlls
> | ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | OSError                                   Traceback (most recent call last)
> |
> | /home/thorsten/<console>
> |
> | OSError: [Errno 11] Resource temporarily unavailable
> `---
>
> In an normal python shell less is invoked and does nothing )tries to
> read from stdin?)

Yes, less is now waiting for input, but on the pipe (not stdin).  But the
above error shows that somehow, this is unique to ipython, and what's failing
is a simple popen() call.  The traceback is also rather strange, because it
shows a funny printout of what appear to be internal python error messages
straight to the console (note that they are above the traceback), and the
actual traceback is empty.

This is really bizarre, and really a pure cygwin-triggered error (meaning, I
can't reproduce it under linux).  It _is_ somehow an ipython problem, but I
simply fail to imagine where it could be originating.  At this point, help
from any cygwin user will be most welcome.  I'm going to post this to
comp.lang.python, in the hope that somebody there might have a suggestion.
Because I'm completely stumped.

Cheers,

f.