[IPython-user] Re: Re: exception with help()

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Tue Mar 9 01:31:10 CST 2004

Hi,

I just installed ipython from CVS to a WinXP box and it worked fine:

Python 2.3.3 (#1, Dec 30 2003, 08:29:25)

IPython 0.5.1.cvs -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
?       -> Introduction to IPython's features.
@magic  -> Information about IPython's 'magic' @ functions.
help    -> Python's own help system.

In [1]: import os

In [2]: xmode Verbose
Exception reporting mode: Verbose

In [3]: pipe=os.popen('less','w')

In [4]:

The above session is tested both from Cygwin terminal and through ssh
connection from Linux box. However, while

In [1]: help('sys')

is OK when run through SSH session then in pure Cygwin terminal I get

In [1]: help('sys')
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

And here follows even more: when I do from a pure Cygwin terminal

  ssh localhost

then in this SSH session

In [1]: help('sys')

is OK again.

HTH.

Btw, I am an ignorant windows user and when I would see

> > | OSError: [Errno 11] Resource temporarily unavailable

then I would try restarting the computer, sometimes it just works;-)

Off-topic feature request:
when quiting from ipython session then the following dialog appears:

  Do you really want to exit ([y]/n)?

Is it possible to disable this dialog? It is a bit annoying as when I
press ^D then it means I do want to exit, there's no need to ask extra
confirmation for that. If ^D would be interpreted as an affirmative answer
by ipython, then that would be great too.

Regards,
Pearu