[IPython-user] Re: Re: exception with help()

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Mar 9 12:04:17 CST 2004

> Off-topic feature request:
> when quiting from ipython session then the following dialog appears:
>
>   Do you really want to exit ([y]/n)?
>
> Is it possible to disable this dialog? It is a bit annoying as when I
> press ^D then it means I do want to exit, there's no need to ask extra
> confirmation for that. If ^D would be interpreted as an affirmative answer
> by ipython, then that would be great too.

Yes, go to your ~/.ipython/ipythonrc file, and set

confirm_exit 0

It's true by default, because I feel that users should be given an opportunity
to save their work in case they hit ^D by accident.  Remember that ^D is
'delete next character' if there's text on the line, so it's not that
difficult to delete a few chars, and by accident hit ^D once more than
necessary.  If you have been running an interactive session for an hour, with
tons of plots and data generated, and all of a sudden ipython quits on you,
it'd be a bummer.  But you can disable it if you want.  Actually I have it
disabled, along with other things, but I prefer the default ipython behavior
to be 'safe', letting the power users sharpen the edges as needed :)