[IPython-user] Re: Re: exception with help()

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Sun Mar 7 23:51:52 CST 2004

Thorsten Kampe wrote:

> What about the last line of the traceback "OSError: [Errno 11]
> Resource temporarily unavailable"? Seems to be a Python error for me.
> Which resource is Python/IPython trying to access and what does it
> mean "temporarily unavailable"? Does the Python shell use another
> "resource" than IPython?

I've been looking more at this exception, trying to figure out what's going on
just from the traceback.  The entire traceback occurs within pure python code,
none of it shows ipython libraries involved.  Here's the last part again:

| /tmp/python.2664/usr/lib/python2.3/pydoc.py in pipepager(text='Help on
built-in function abs:\n\na\x08ab\x08bs\x08s(...)\n ... \n    Return the
absolute value of the argument.\n', cmd='less')
|    1248 def pipepager(text, cmd):
|    1249     """Page through text by feeding it to another program."""
| -> 1250     pipe = os.popen(cmd, 'w')
|         pipe = undefined, global os = <module 'os' from
'/usr/lib/python2.3/os.pyc'>, global popen = undefined, cmd = 'less'
|    1251     try:
|    1252         pipe.write(text)
|
| OSError: [Errno 11] Resource temporarily unavailable

That doesn't exonerate ipython, however, since the problem may be indirectly
triggered by ipython.  But it's going to be tricky to pin it down.  Another
thing to test would be:

import os
pipe=os.popen('less','w')

both in a normal python shell and in ipython, under a Cygwin setup.  If this
causes a problem in ipython, hopefully the actual culprit code will be
clearer.  If you see a problem, please set 'xmode Verbose' so that the
reported exception has as much detail as possible.

I built python 2.3 on my (Linux) laptop, but this particular problem doesn't
appear.  Note, however, that there's another pydoc-related bug which Arnd
found a few days ago, and that one I _do_ see under Linux.  It's not
impossible that the two problems are actually triggered by the same ipython
bug, we'll see.