[IPython-user] Re: Question about IPython

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Mon Mar 15 14:10:36 CST 2004

Andrew Boling wrote:
> Subscribed just now, I used the e-mail address I have all of my other
> mailing list subscriptions on.
>
> At any rate, I know I'm weirdo for wanting to replace /bin/bash with
> iPython, but I've been wanting a shell that uses Python and so far
> iPython seems the closest to having the necessary functionality without
> writing one from scratch. Heck, it's even got its own rc files, so all
> it's missing is the actual filesystem interaction.

[snip]

Sorry for the delay.  This is just a quick note to say that it may take me a
few days to reply in full -- I'm currently completely swamped with urgent
'real' work.

But I _will_ address your last message in detail, you are on the right track.
  There are already enough hooks into python to do what you want as a profile,
though.  Start looking at the 'tutorial' profile for ideas.  I'll have more
details when I can find a bit of spare time.

Regards,

Fernando.