[IPython-user] Re: Re: broken completion

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Mon Mar 15 20:58:12 CST 2004

* Fernando Perez (2004-03-07 01:26 +0100)
> Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>>>Again, my lack of access to a Windows box is going to make this quite tricky
>>>to track down.  Do you know if cygwin uses the default Gnu readline library
>>>for completions, or are you using Chris Drexler's PyReadlineWin32?
>>
>> Standard GNU readline coming with bash. I could post my .inputrc but
>> it's the same as on my Gentoo box where IPython works flawlessly.
>
> Mmh, then I'm stumped; sorry but I have no clue whatsoever.  And without a
> cygwin box to use, I won't be able to offer any better diagnostics later either.
>
> Sorry to be of so little help.  But if ever you or another user figures out
> the cause and it's something I can fix on the ipython side, please let me know.

Okay, I figured it out (at least partially). It's the "colors Linux"
setting in my .ipythonrc. "NoColor" works. I installed another
"tab-completer" (rlcompleter2) and it has the same problems like the
"normal tab" (= Python rlcompleter (?)).

And this is of course the reason why the default Python shell has no
tab problems - it's colourless...

Well. IPython is superior to the standard Python shell even in black
and white but I'd prefer colours...

Thorsten