[IPython-user] Re: Question about IPython

pythondev-dang pythondev-dang at lazytwinacres.net
Tue Mar 16 08:04:57 CST 2004

Andrew Boling wrote:
> At any rate, I know I'm weirdo for wanting to replace /bin/bash with
> iPython, but I've been wanting a shell that uses Python and so far
> iPython seems the closest to having the necessary functionality without
> writing one from scratch. Heck, it's even got its own rc files, so all
> it's missing is the actual filesystem interaction.
[snip]

I don't know if you're a weirdo--every now and then I wish IPython
had just a smidge more shell capability.  What I've started to do is add
the commands, as the need arises, to my ipythonrc file.
Unfortunately, I don't know how (if it's even possible) to support
stdin/stdout/stderr redirection.

I found a bunch of scripts on scipy.net, but they seem to be organized
the stdout result in a python list); I can donate it if someone wants it
(it's inspired by a grep-like interface to the python re package, written
by Gever Tulley, that I found
at http://www.scipy.net/pipermail/scipy-cvs/2003-September).
    --dang