[IPython-user] Using ipython as a bash replacement

Jonathan Daugherty cygnus at cprogrammer.org
Mon Mar 22 17:16:00 CST 2004

Hello all,

I know ipython is not intended to be a *sh replacement.  So, you might
be thinking or yelling, "Oh no! Someone else posting about using
ipython as a shell replacement!"  But I'm not here to ask you to "add
feature X because if you did, it would be the perfect shell
replacement."

With that said, I *would* like to consider using ipython on a more
regular basis.  That happens to include some shell-like
functionality.  Since this topic has surely been addressed on this
list before, can someone please give me tips with regard to what I
might find useful (as a user who wants ipython to at least emulate a
shell)?

I've already discovered (and currently enjoy) the 'alias' command.
I use it to bind a few of my oft-used programs like emacs, mutt, and
df, for example.

Thanks so much.  Ipython is the best!

--
    _  ,^.  _