[IPython-user] Using ipython as a bash replacement

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Mon Mar 22 17:48:36 CST 2004

Jonathan Daugherty wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I know ipython is not intended to be a *sh replacement.  So, you might
> be thinking or yelling, "Oh no! Someone else posting about using
> ipython as a shell replacement!"  But I'm not here to ask you to "add
> feature X because if you did, it would be the perfect shell
> replacement."
>
> With that said, I *would* like to consider using ipython on a more
> regular basis.  That happens to include some shell-like
> functionality.  Since this topic has surely been addressed on this
> list before, can someone please give me tips with regard to what I
> might find useful (as a user who wants ipython to at least emulate a
> shell)?

Start by having a look at the recent archives of the mailing list.  In fact,
this topic is still on the table, I'm just in a work crunch right now and had
to punt for a few weeks.  But feel free to voice your opinion on the matters
expressed recently, I'll take all ideas into account for the rest of the
discussion.  I should be able to come back to this in ~ 2 weeks, after some
'real' work is finally out of the way.

The alias command is the cornerstone of ipython's shell access, but you can
certainly add more sophisticated magic commands which do anything you want.
The manual (http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/manual/index.html) has also details
about setting things up with a profile, so you can load all your
system-related extensions only when needed.  The distribution also includes a
simple example file  called doc/examples/example-magic.py which shows you how
to write your own magic functions.

Regards,