[IPython-user] A 'Mathematica Notebook' interface for python work?

Ero Carrera ero at dkbza.org
Sat May 1 01:06:49 CDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 11:03:04PM -0600, Fernando Perez wrote:
> here's a very interesting link I saw today:
>
> http://dkbza.org/tmPython.html
>
> Has anyone seen/played with this before?  It would seem to me that, if
> ipython were the shell running in that window, we'd have a lovely
> environment...

Funnily enough, I'm the author of that one. So I've been playing with it quite
a while ;-)

The possibility of having IPython running on it does not sound farfetched. The
main reason why it's not, is that I wanted something quick. If there's enough
interest, I would be willing to attempt to integrate it, as IPython is far
superior in features that what I've implemented in tmPython.

> Any thoughts (I'm esp. curious about Arnd's opinion here)?

The reason why I wrote it is that I'm in love with the way Mathematica handles
'blocks of code', which you can run independently of the others. It's
incredibly useful for me, when I'm implementing prototypes or testing
algorithms and can individually write and execute different parts of the code.

This is something that TeXmacs provides with its interfacing to the plugins.

I would definitely be interested in hearing of comments/suggestions.

Best regards,

--
Ero Carrera                          Anti-Virus Researcher
                                     F-Secure Corp.

  I was born not knowing and have had only a little time
  to change that here and there.
                           Richard Feynman (1918 - 1988)