[IPython-user] Further tests for IPython-0.6.0.rc1 on WinXP

Viktor Ransmayr viktor.ransmayr at t-online.de
Sun May 9 16:09:21 CDT 2004

Hi Fernando,

You wrote:

> Viktor Ransmayr wrote:
>
> >>Could I ask you one more thing? Are you using Gary Bishop's tools
> >>(http://sourceforge.net/projects/uncpythontools) for getting readline
> >>and coloring support?  I'd like to know whether I applied all of
> >>Gary's patches correctly and if these things work 'out of the box', so
> >>I can update the Windows-related information in the manual and website.
> >

> > Of course. - I quickly checked the URL. - I have neither the python
> > readline, nor the
> > ctypes module installed. - So it might take a while, but I'll let you
> > know about the result.
>
> Great.  This should also make the windows ipython experience much
> closer to the linux one: tab completion (and all the other
> readline-based features) and coloring for code and tracebacks make
> IMHO half of the ipython strength.  I hope this works easily now, so
> that Windows users can benefit from all of it.
>
> If it works for you, I would greatly appreciate if you could briefly
> summarize  what the necessary packages/requisites are, so I can
> document it in the manual.  Since I don't have access to Windows, I
> have no way of doing the process by myself.

Installing the modules was a lot easier than I thought. - As far as I
can tell with my
limited IPython experience it seems to work fine:

o I executed the cmd "@colors lightbg" and (at least ?) the prompt got a
light
   background.

o The readline seems to work fine. I tried TAB-Completion and it worked.
   I tried the readline cursor movements and they worked too.

Concerning your last question: I had the win32 extensions allready
installed, before I
installed IPython. (pywin32-200.win32-py2.3.exe to be precise) -
Afterwards I installed
ctypes-0.6.3.win32-py2.3.exe first and readline-1.2.win32.exe afterwards.

Regards,
    Viktor