[IPython-user] Re: Further tests for IPython-0.6.0.rc1 on WinXP

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Sun May 9 16:14:12 CDT 2004

Viktor Ransmayr wrote:

>>If it works for you, I would greatly appreciate if you could briefly
>>summarize  what the necessary packages/requisites are, so I can
>>document it in the manual.  Since I don't have access to Windows, I
>>have no way of doing the process by myself.
>

> Installing the modules was a lot easier than I thought. - As far as I
> can tell with my
> limited IPython experience it seems to work fine:
>
> o I executed the cmd "@colors lightbg" and (at least ?) the prompt got a
> light
>    background.
>
> o The readline seems to work fine. I tried TAB-Completion and it worked.
>    I tried the readline cursor movements and they worked too.
>
> Concerning your last question: I had the win32 extensions allready
> installed, before I
> installed IPython. (pywin32-200.win32-py2.3.exe to be precise) -
> Afterwards I installed
> ctypes-0.6.3.win32-py2.3.exe first and readline-1.2.win32.exe afterwards.

Great!  I'll include this information in the manual, then.  You may want to
edit the ipythonrc.ini file then, and set the realine/coloring options to be
permanently active.  They are normally disabled for Windows users because
without Gary's tools they will cause problem.

Many thanks for your help.

Best,

Fernando