[IPython-user] Re: Incomplete color support in IPython 0.6.0.

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Sun May 16 03:09:21 CDT 2004

On Sat, 15 May 2004, Fernando Perez wrote:

> it would be easy for me to enable auto-detection of this under Windows.  What
> I'm not too sure how to handle is cygwin: I suppose I should only do this for
> non-cygwin environments.  Is there a way under Windows to distinguish between
> python running under cygwin and under the normal environment?

Yes, under cygwin sys.platform=='cygwin'.

> > * Typing is incredibly slow with readline (about half a second delay
> > between each character)
>
> Mmmh.  I hadn't heard of this one before.  Any Windows user with an idea about
> what may be causing this?

I had similar problem once, the fix was to use the correct video driver..

> > * The history is saved in native Windows format showing ^Ms at the end
> > when one uses a shared Cygwin and Windows history file (this is not
> > unique to IPython and shows in vanilla Python shell, too)
>
> Given that this is a fundamental problem of the Windows '\r\n' EOL convention,
> I don't see an easy way to work around it, sorry.

Try using recent scipy_distutils from CVS for creating distributions. It
makes the required mapping to dos or unix EOL convention depending whether
the archive file is .zip or .tar, and indepenent of what is the original
convention.

Pearu