[IPython-user] Re: Re: Incomplete color support in IPython 0.6.0.

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Mon May 17 08:56:13 CDT 2004

* Fernando Perez (2004-05-15 21:27 +0100)
> Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>> * Vincent N. Virgilio (2004-05-15 09:26 +0100)
> Bummer!  It seems like I'm never going to be able to get true Windows support
> done right. You have obviously followed all instructions to the letter, so I'm
> at a loss as to what the problem may be.
>
> Googling around, I found this message from Gary which may help:
> http://www.scipy.net/pipermail/ipython-dev/2003-December/000101.html
>
> In particular, please try the following with all the codes as you currently
> have them (ipython and Gary's readline):
>
> - quoting Gary:
> On Windows, a user may optionally include the following in his IPYTHONDIR
>
> enable_color.py
>
> '''Turn on the translation of ANSI color escapes for Windows'''
>
> import IPython
> import readline
>
> out = readline.GetOutputFile()
> IPython.genutils.Term.out = out
> IPython.genutils.Term.err = out
> del out
> del readline
> del IPython
>
> and this line in ipythonrc.ini
>
> execfile enable_color.py
>
> /end quote
>
> If this fixes things, please let me know.

No, it has no effect. Input prompt is still coloured and the output
prompt shows escape sequences instead.

Another thing is that Bishop's readline doesn't even reset the prompt
colours to the default state when quitting the Python shell (default
is white on black while his readline makes the prompt light white).
That's hardly a "big thing" but in my opinion his application cannot
be called "stable".

Thorsten