[IPython-user] ANN: IPython 0.6.4 is out.

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Mon Nov 8 15:10:16 CST 2004

Hi all,

I'm glad to announce that IPython 0.6.4 is finally out. You can download it
from the usual place:

http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/

I've provided RPMs for Python 2.2 and 2.3, plus source downloads (.tar.gz and
.zip).

Debian, Fink and BSD packages for this version should be coming soon, as the
respective maintainers (many thanks to Jack Moffit, Andrea Riciputi and Dryice
Liu) have the time to follow their packaging procedures.

Many thanks to Enthought for their continued hosting support for IPython, and
to all the users who contributed ideas, fixes and reports.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Unless any important bugs are found, this version will likely
be the last ipython release for quite some time.  I intend to (finally) start
a major internal cleanup, as described in:

http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/new_design.pdf

This process will likely take a while; even though it's relatively
straightforward, there is a _lot_ of code to go through.  In a few weeks, I
will probably open a separate CVS branch for this, so that I can still fix
bugs for version 0.6.4 in CVS HEAD if they are found.  Needless to say, any
volunteers are welcome to help :)

Once the new branch becomes reasonably stable, it will be released, and I hope
this will soon after lead to an official '1.0' release for ipython.

Now, on to the usual summary of changes in IPython 0.6.4 vs 0.6.3.  As always,
the complete NEWS file can be found at http://ipython.scipy.org/NEWS, and the
whole ChangeLog at http://ipython.scipy.org/ChangeLog.

- License changed to BSD: IPython is now fully licensed under the terms of the
BSD license (except for a few MIT-licensed files which have always been there;
the MIT license is very similar to BSD).

- Changed the explicit magic escape from @ to %, to conform with the
introduction of Python @decorators in Python 2.4.  IPython 0.6.4 should be
100% compatible with Python 2.4.

- Many small improvements which mainly matter to users of the matplotlib
support (via -pylab).  These fix a number of problems, crashes and annoyances
present in 0.6.3.

- Small fixes and hardenings against crashes which could be caused by buggy
third-party code run from within ipython.  There are currently no known
ipython crash cases.

Enjoy, and as usual please report any problems.

Regards,

Fernando.