[IPython-user] Re: ipython as zope interactive console

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 15:37:07 CDT 2004

Fernando Perez wrote:
> There is no 'ipython binary'.  The executable ipython script is just this:
> import IPython
> IPython.Shell.start().mainloop()

Right, I misspoke there, meaning 'command you can start from a shell'

If there were a ZConfig directive for:
 debug-python /usr/bin/ipython

and if do_debug() checked for this directive instead of my hardcoded
ipython command, there wouldn't be any further changes necessary to zope
source.

I would choose to drop the 'try: import IPython' in that case,
trusting the user to make sure a working ipython is available if they
enable the directive.

I think the Zope devs would accept a patch that did that. I need to find
out more about add-on directives as Zope2 Products. I've never seen one.