[IPython-user] Re: ipython as zope interactive console

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 15:52:39 CDT 2004

Fernando Perez wrote:
>> - Zope objects have *lots* of attributes! Any tips available for using
>> the code-completion and attribute exploration with massive lists of
>> attributes would probably help Zope newbies immensely.
>
> Mmh.  I've run into the same problem with VTK objects, which also have
> monster attribute lists.  My approach is just to type obj.A<TAB>,
> obj.B<TAB>, etc: typing first a letter or two to narrow down the size of
> the completion list. Not ideal, I know...

Do you have any tricks to view code completion only for attributes which
do not start with '_' (public attributes)

Is there any way to view code completion only for defined attributes of
the object, not those it inherits from the acquisition environment (if
that's the right term)? Object.__dict__ usually gives an attribute list
that's close to the API, can that be linked to code completion?

It would be cool to be able to alternate between code-completing in
__dict__ or the acquisition environment based on some easily applied trick
or magic syntax. Perhaps Object.(tab) -> __dict__ and
Object..(tab) -> acquisition, with the second . stripped from the next
input prompt. Maybe Object...(tab) could search both, bringing the
whole huge attribute list into play.