[IPython-user] ipython + emacs py-execute-region problem.

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Oct 15 01:22:49 CDT 2004

Bo Peng wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I am trying to use emacs + ipython but encounter one small problem:
> When I submit a region of code to python shell, current buffer will
> always change to the python buffer. This is very inconvenient since I
> have to switch buffer before I submit another part of the script. (I
> am using a shortcut to step through my script).
>
> I was using the usual python-mode and did not have this problem. I
> compared the old and updated python-mode.el and found no difference in
> this particular function. Is this a ipython.el bug?

I suspect this has to do with the fact that the ipython support is only
available for an old version of python-mode.  Unfortunately Alex Schmolck
tried to get those patches accepted by the mainline project, but they dropped
the ball on his efforts, and he is unavailable right now.  This is a less than
ideal situation for ipython's Emacs users, as it forces using an old version
of python-mode, but it's beyond my expertise to fix, unfortunately.  If an
emacs guru is willing to pursue this with the python-mode core team, and port
the ipython support patch to the current versiono of python-mode, it would be
a great contribution.

Regards,