[IPython-user] Auto-Completion incomplete?

Norbert Nemec Norbert.Nemec.list at gmx.de
Fri Oct 15 06:50:38 CDT 2004

Hi there,

I'm rather new to python, so there might really be a simple answer to this
that I just don't see. In any case: I would assume that other newbies have to
struggle just the same:

Using ipython with scipy installed, I do the following:

--------------------------------
In [1]: from scipy import *

In [2]: a=zeros(3)

In [3]: a.<tab pressed to get completion>
a.__copy__	a.copy		a.savespace	a.tostring
a.__deepcopy__	a.iscontiguous	a.spacesaver	a.typecode
a.astype	a.itemsize	a.tolist
a.byteswapped	a.resize	a.toscalar

In [3]: a.shape
Out[3]: (3,)

In [4]:

My question: why doesn't 'shape' appear in the list of completions?

What would have been the correct place to look it up? I was looking for a way
to retrieve the shape of an array, but I did not find it anywhere until I
stumbled over it in some example code.

Thanks,
Nobbi