[IPython-user] ipython + emacs py-execute-region problem.

Prabhu Ramachandran PrabhuRamachandran
Fri Oct 15 12:59:01 CDT 2004

    >> The only trouble with this approach is that it will not reload
    >> other modules automatically so one will need to kill the
    >> interpreter every so often.  When using IPython seperately, I
    >> simple have to reload the necessary modules.  However, this is
    >> a fascinating way to debug Python code and one I might use
    >> later.

    BP> This is not a problem to me since C-D (kill python) and F12
    BP> (or using the original shortcut, to start python again) are
    BP> easy enough to me.

I thought as much. :)

    BP> To clear some confusion (what works and what does not), here
    BP> is my test results:
    BP> 1. python (any version) + python-mode.el (any official
    BP>    version)
    BP> without ipython: no problem.

Hmm, I don't think that is possible.  The 'bug' was in python-mode.el
and all I did was make the behavior optional.  Essentially,
py-comint-output-filter-function was calling pop-to-buffer.  I also
checked that earlier versions of python-mode.el did not call
pop-to-buffer.  For example, look at revision 4.2 on the sourceforge
page.

    BP> 3. (NOW) ipython + Probhu's new python-mode.el + ipython.el
    BP>    does not
    BP> have this problem.

Excellent!  Thanks for the confirmation.  My mail to the mailing list
must be held for moderation since I suspect the size of my mail was
larger than 40KB.

    BP> I am excited that I can now enjoy the power of ipython as well
    BP> as emacs. With the attached emacs configuration, my way of
    BP> working with python script is:

    BP> 1. emacs myscript.py, maxmize emacs window, C-x 3 ( split
    BP>    window )
[...]

Thanks for the code.  I also like to use C-x 3 but hate the fact that
line-wrapping is totally broken in that mode in XEmacs.  Long lines go
on and on to the right and are not wrapped to the next line as they
normally would be.  Does anyone know of a good workaround?

Thanks.

cheers,
prabhu