[IPython-user] Re: [Matplotlib-users] Re: ipython + pylab + wx/wxagg on win32/OSX

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Sep 9 14:23:02 CDT 2004

John Hunter wrote:
> Gee, some people are never satisfied!

You should know me by now :)

> In IPython/Shell.py on or around line 424, replace the mainloop
> function with
[...]

Great, I just put it in CVS.  Many thanks!

> Incidentally, this or some other change appears to fix the GTK OSX
> confirm on exit bug (the only other change here is that I call 'start'
> after the threads_init call).
>
> Thus I can happily report that with this change and the one you
> included in CVS yesterday for output redirection in wx, all the
> backends seem to be working across all the major platforms in ipython.
>
> And there was much rejoicing.

Indeed!  So it seems like the little matrix you sent yesterday now reads:

            linux        win32     OSX
     GTK* : good         good	  good
     WX*  : good         good      good
     TK*  : good         good      good

:)

I think I'm actually going to make a 0.6.4 release with these fixes, since
making this functionality useful across the board is worth it IMO.  After the
warm reception the ipython+matplotlib combo got at scipy, it would be nice to
give users something that really works across all platforms.

Again, many thanks for this: you know if it were up to me the win32 bug would
have lingered forever.

Best,