[IPython-user] Re: [IPython-dev] I need feedback: new escape for @magics?

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Sep 29 12:53:25 CDT 2004

Pearu Peterson schrieb:
>>From a rapid typing point of view, the following symbols are close to
> a forefinger:

Note that 'rapid' typing isn't a tight requirement, as in most cases magics
are auto detected.  It is only in the situation where a python variable with
the name of a magic exists that explicit escaping is needed, so most users
should never really have to use the magic escape.  For this reason, I'm
willing to choose a character which is sligthly less accessible finger-wise,
if the choice has other benefits.

>  []\-+_=';
> Also
>  `~#$|
> are convinient to use.
>
> If there should be no overlap with python syntax then
>  [\-'`~+_;#
> are out.

Well, -\+ could still be OK: they are binary ops, so a standalone +foo on a
line is not valid python.  But I don't want to use \, I really think that the
universal C escape character should be left alone (don't get me started on the
stupidity of DOS/windows using it as a path separator!).  -+ are valid as
filename characters, so I'd rather not use them.

> Only
>  =$|
> are still in.

$ is used by pysh already, so that's out.

I just saw Francesc's new message, I'd forgotten about &.  So I think we're
down to:

%magic
&magic

Both of these look good to me.  Opinions on typeability from international
keyboards?  They are just about equivalent on a US one.  I marginally prefer
%, but it's a small thing (and unjustified, it's only a gut feeling).

Votes, opinions?  I'd like to say already thanks for the feedback, I really
appreciate it.  This is one of those little problems where more eyes can help
make a sensible decision.  Thanks to all for taking the time :)

Best,