[IPython-user] Re: [IPython-dev] I need feedback: new escapefor @magics?

Ville Vainio vivainio at kolumbus.fi
Thu Sep 30 10:39:37 CDT 2004

Fernando Perez wrote:

> I must choose something which is invalid python syntax _forever_,
> hence the appeal of binary ops, or something like a closing bracket as
> the first character. I need the sequence to be, by definition, invalid
> python.

Does it matter that much? I'd imagine the "magic" prefix would be
unnecussary after the "big cleanup" - magics should just be normal
python objects like everything else, recognized as magic (or, requiring
special handling of their args) by their name and its existence in the
table of special symbols. Yes, I'm jumping to conclusions here :-).

Half-seriously: why not use a bactick in the beginning of line? It's
redundant anyway (repr), even more so in ipython. It's deprecation in
py3k seems likely, and it's widely considered to suck anyway. And as I
said, this magic prefix syntax is probably not for forever...
additionally, as an interactive token, version compatibility is not an
issue.