[IPython-user] Graphical Object Browser: Eclipse/pydev

Ville Vainio vivainio at kolumbus.fi
Thu Sep 30 10:57:49 CDT 2004

Fernando Perez wrote:

> Travis Caldwell schrieb:
>
>>  If you are looking for integration into an IDE and a graphical object
>> browser, have you looked at integrating with pydev and eclipse?
>>
>>  http://sourceforge.net/projects/pydev/
>

> [...]
>
> Thanks for the tip.  My plan is to clean up the architecture enough so
> that in principle, ipython could be dropped into _any_ gui shell.
> IDLE and pycrust were on my list, this is an equally valid one.

Actually, eclipse is an exceptionally juicy integration target. A lot of
tomorrow's workflow will possibly happen  in eclipse, and complete
interactive python integration has tremendous potential. IPython could
even become the de facto standard CLI for the eclipse platform, provided
that a reasonably good way to access Java objects is available (JPype?)
for creating wrappers to ease the common tasks...