[IPython-user] Re: OSX tab completion

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Fri Apr 1 21:17:29 CST 2005

Fernando Perez wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>
>> And it works! Thank you for grepping where I dare not!
>

> Glad to hear that.  Do not fear grep, it is a gentle beast despite its
> awkward appearance :)

I fear not grep. I fear readline!

> Question: did we establish whether fink also suffers from this problem?
> It might be worth adding a note concerning this to the manual.

While I can't check personally, with your information I am almost
positive that Fink, in any sensible configuration, will not exhibit this
problem. The problem with Apple's Python was that it was not configured
with readline, so the autoconf macros relating to readline never got
triggered. Building readline after the fact without taking these into
consideration are causing the problem.

Fink Python build-depends on readline, so the autoconf macros do get
triggered. I earlier questioned Eric's statement that Fink worked
out-of-box because I had thought the only two paths for changing that
behavior were through configuration settings and changing the readline
library itself, and Fink does not significantly patch readline. And I
also inherently mistrust Fink, but that is apparently beside the point.  ;-)

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter