[IPython-user] Re: Embedded IPython and readline under MacOS-X

Frédéric Mantegazza mantegazza at ill.fr
Wed Apr 6 03:11:54 CDT 2005

Le Mardi 5 Avril 2005 17:55, Justin Walker a écrit :

> >> $ python `python -c "import pimp; print pimp.__file__"` -i readline
>
> I think the point is that, once you run the command as in Andy's post,
> python will be configured to enable the use of readline.  At least,
> when I run the above line once, subsequent runs of python have readline
> support.
>
> In other words, you need to run the above command only once.  Then use
> python as you normally would.

I've just tried this command. And I understand what it is done, now.

First, pimp stands for "Package Install Manager for Python" (MacOS-X only).
Second, `python -c "import pimp; print pimp.__file__"` returns the script of
the module pimp. So, python <pimp_script> -i readline try to install the
'readline' package.

*But*, it does not work for me :o( I get a 404 Error ! Do I need to
configure something for pimp (server address...) ?

Thank's,

--
   Frédéric