[IPython-user] Debugging with IPython.

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Apr 14 20:08:09 CDT 2005

Andrea Riciputi wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm try to debug and trace some Python-wrapped C code and in particular
> I'm mainly interested to check for memory leaks.
>
> What I have is a bunch of C function accepting multi-dimensional arrays
> as input parameters and returning other arrays. These functions have
> been wrapped into a Python module, and I'd like to check whether the
> module behaves correctly from with Python. In particular I'm interested
> in checking if all the data structure are de-allocated correctly when
> they come out of scope.
>
> May I do these kind of things using pdb from within IPython? How?

Not that I know.  As far as I know, all C extension code is a black box to
pdb.  In order to get internal info from your extension modules, you'll need
to resort to traditional gdb tactics, and I think that to really get very far
you need to work with a debug build of python.

But I actually know very little about debugging extension modules (I never
make mistakes when I code in C/C++ :), see Andrew Straw's message from a few
weeks back, which had some info about this (in the context of threads
debugging, but much of it could apply here).

Best,

ps. Andrew's email might have been on the -dev list, I don't quite remember;
check both.