[IPython-user] More Windows questions part 2 - \/ characters revisited

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 09:43:45 CDT 2005

> hence the error.  I would argue that what's broken is that line-continuations
> are not being honored by magics/! as they should, which is inconsistent with
> the rest of python and the behavior of normal shells.

I think that magics, ! and aliases are not "normal python" (remember
having to use Itpl there etc.) and hence can ignore the convention. As
far as the normal shells go, how often is \ really used? I always keep
adding stuff to the same line which works just as well, as there is no
need to keep the lines "pretty".

The case where being able to use single \ (as opposed \\) in filenames
is critical is the one where you are copy-pasting long filenames like
\myfiles\blah\foo\bar.txt to the command line. I've found myself
starting a normal cmd.exe session for such situations which is a
hassle.

If using raw strings is unthinkable in aliases and magics (which I
believe should not be the case), at least do it for !-constructs.
OTOH, didn't someone submit a patch a while ago for this kind of "raw"
commands?

--
Ville Vainio   ॐ   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb