[IPython-user] IPython w different Pythons

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Aug 12 16:36:29 CDT 2005

Alan G Isaac wrote:
> I recently installed Python 2.4.
> I installed IPython while I was using Python 2.3.
> Can I have IPython work with both
> (e.g., by doing a separate install somehow?)

You can just unpack the .tgz and do:

/path/to/python2.4 setup.py install --install-scripts=/tmp/something/

This will dump the execution script which points to py2.4 into /tmp/something,
so it doesn't overwrite your default one in /usr/bin.  You can then do

mv /tmp/something/ipython /usr/bin/ipython2.4

An alternative is to keep the IPython directory somewhere in your $PYTHONPATH,
and have two aliases

ipython23 = python2.3 /path/to/ipython/scripts/ipython
ipython24 = python2.4 /path/to/ipython/scripts/ipython

This one will allow you to use the same install from both python versions.

cheers,