[IPython-user] IPython w different Pythons

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Mon Aug 15 10:22:37 CDT 2005

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Fernando Perez apparently wrote:
> You can just unpack the .tgz and do:
> /path/to/python2.4 setup.py install --install-scripts=/tmp/something/
> This will dump the execution script which points to py2.4 into /tmp/something,
> so it doesn't overwrite your default one in /usr/bin.  You can then do
> mv /tmp/something/ipython /usr/bin/ipython2.4

> An alternative is to keep the IPython directory somewhere in your $PYTHONPATH,
> and have two aliases
> ipython23 = python2.3 /path/to/ipython/scripts/ipython
> ipython24 = python2.4 /path/to/ipython/scripts/ipython
> This one will allow you to use the same install from both python versions.

Trying to translate the latter to Windows ...
I see that my original IPython installation created
a shortcut with target
C:\Python23\python.exe "C:\Program
Files\IPython\IPython_shell.py"
I think you are saying that changing this to
C:\Python24\python.exe "C:\Program Files\IPython\IPython_shell.py"
should work as long as I add an %PYTHONPATH environment
variable that points to "C:\Program Files\IPython".

Is that about right?

Thank you,
Alan Isaac

PS And yes, I remembered to add current ctypes and readline
under 2.4.