[IPython-user] More Windows questions part 2 - \/ characters revisited

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 02:50:53 CDT 2005

On 8/12/05, Fernando Perez <Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu> wrote:

> OK, let's play a little with the options to see where this gets us.  I'll need
> some testing help from you, since I can't test any of this here (*nix boxes

> test it here easily).  Let me know what you get from this (or if you see that
> the real solution is different).  After knowing that something can be made to
> work, we'll see how far to take it.

After using it through a full workday, I can vouch that the 'repr'
approach you suggested works just fine, so far there have been no
problems. I think it should be extended at least to shell aliases and
(for consistency) to magics as well. Try them on your own box for a
while to see whether you have any problems in your "daily use" (I
doubt it, because using \ for line continuation was broken in the
first place!) If you add them to SVN give me a note, I'd like to test
run them as well.

Or does anyone have any problems with this feature? In a nutshell, it
means that you no longer need to double the backspace for DOS commands
and magics ('cd' is a good example of magic function where this has
been a problem previously).

--
Ville Vainio   ॐ   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb