[IPython-user] More Windows questions part 2 - \/ characters revisited

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 03:38:07 CDT 2005

On 8/16/05, Ville Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:

> problems. I think it should be extended at least to shell aliases and
> (for consistency) to magics as well. Try them on your own box for a

Ok, I take the part about shell aliases and magics back because there
appears to be some complications regarding filenames with spaces.
example:

[group\foo]|67> ls

16.08.2005  10:51       <DIR>          .
16.08.2005  10:51       <DIR>          ..
16.08.2005  10:51       <DIR>          foo bar

[group\foo]|68> !ls foo\ bar
ls: foo\: No such file or directory
ls: bar: No such file or directory

[group\foo]|69> cd foo\ bar
[foo\foo bar]|70>

So implementing just the ! form should be enough for the moment.

Interestingly:

[group\foo]|84> !ls 'foo bar'
ls: \foo bar': No such file or directory
[group\foo]|85> !ls "foo bar"
ls: \foo bar": No such file or directory

That's all I have time for ATM, perhaps the repr approach is not the
optimal one either. Perhaps using a triple quoted string with
additional empty char that is removed afterwards would do the trick.

i.e.

"hallo foo\"

Would mean

"""hallo foo\_"[:-1]

(note the trailing underscore which is deleted afterwards by
slicing... it's there to prevent syntax error if \ is the last char).

It's a bit of a funny hack, but will do the trick.

--
Ville Vainio   ॐ   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb