[IPython-user] More Windows questions part 2 - \/ characters revisited

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 16:10:35 CDT 2005

> That was precisely my fear.  I can't play with this for a day or two, so why
> don't you keep testing it and make some notes.  In a couple of days I'll ping
> you to see where you're at, and I'll implement locally whatever has survived
> your testing so far, and will use it for a while on my copy.  If it works for
> both (and anyone else willing to try it), then I'll commit it.

Just before hitting bed (soon :) I implemented the patch (raw-string,
triple-quoted, with stripping of padding char to allow \ at end) on my
linux box, and it seems to work pretty well, here's a transcipt of a
session:

IPython profile: pysh

ville at ubuntu[~]|1> cd t
ville at ubuntu[~/t]|2> ls foo\ bar
a.tmp
ville at ubuntu[~/t]|3> !ls foo\ bar
a.tmp
ville at ubuntu[~/t]|4> !ls "foo bar"
a.tmp
ville at ubuntu[~/t]|5> !ls 'foo bar'
a.tmp
ville at ubuntu[~/t]|6> !ls foo bar
ls: foo: No such file or directory
ls: bar: No such file or directory
ville at ubuntu[~/t]|7>

So it works exactly as expected. I removed quoting of ", because when
using triple quotes it's not needed, and \'s are intact.

The patch is attached (my first svn patch!), at least take a look at
it. I imagine it would even be safe to try it on your local copy
already, it's after all only prone to hurt ! escaping... and it works
on my home linux box just fine.

--
Ville Vainio   -    http://tinyurl.com/2prnb