[IPython-user] os.startfile -> infinite loop

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Aug 31 13:18:42 CDT 2005

Ryan Krauss wrote:
> Fernando asked me to do the following:
>
> Are you using ipython's %run command to run it?  Because %run is just a
> fancy
> wrapper around execfile().  Try from within ipython both using
>
> run noncolocated
>
> and also
>
> execfile('noncolocated.py')
>
> Also try the latter from a plain python prompt.  Let me know what
> happens, and
> we might have some ideas.
>

> Both run and execfile from within Ipython start the inifinte loop.
>
> execfile from a regular python prompt does not.  It exists normally.

This is _very_ strange.  I'm afraid that I'll only be able to help you if you
can package a small test case that I can run myself without needing access to
your data or local installation.  I can't really begin to imagine what can be
happening here.  Anyone with an idea can speak up now :)

So if you can make a small standalone test case that shows the problem, please
send it this way and I'll run it.   Note that I only have Linux to test on, so
if somehow this only manifests itself under XP, I won't be able to help.  But
at least posting the script _might_ give an idea (but don't hold your breath,
this is a really strange problem).