[IPython-user] readline and python-mode conflict for Windows Xemacs

Philip Austin paustin at eos.ubc.ca
Sat Dec 3 23:36:56 CST 2005

I'm posting this in case others have the same experience with
python-mode.el, emacs/xemacs and either cmd.exe or bash on Windows XP.
I just did this install, and found that the py-shell prompt contained
lots of ^A andn ^B characters, as reported by Mike Krell:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-emacs-windows/2005-04/msg00030.html

I also found (as he did) that the Ipython output wasn't appearing.  He
fixed these problems by putting in a comint hook to clean the prompt
and patching Console.py in the  readline module.  An alternate fix is
to simply remove the readline module.  This makes both problems go away,
and with bash + an emacs comint buffer I can live without readline.

Best, Phil Austin