[IPython-user] python-mode tab completion problem

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Dec 7 12:15:13 CST 2005

Hi Kamen,

Kamen Todorov wrote:
> Dear Fernando Perez,
>
> I am an emacs user and use ipython version 0.6.15.  I alse have
> version 1.8 of ipython.el and version 4.75 of python-mode.el (which is
> part of python-mode 1.0).  Autocompletion is not working for me in the
> in the C-! session.  Perhaps I am missing something?  I'd appreciate
> any pointers.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Kamen Todorov

I suggest that this question is best posted on the ipython-user list
(subscription required, info here: http://ipython.scipy.org), where I've
forwarded it already.

I say this because I tried and for some reason I can't quite make this work
with plain GNU emacs.  I normally only use XEmacs, so it's quite possible that
my local config has things in it which break GNU emacs, and I'm far from an
*emacs configuration expert.  My efforts so far haven't provided anything,
which is why I suggest you follow up on the list, where users of GNU emacs may
have other suggestions.

I can confirm that a simple

(require 'ipython)

is all I need under XEmacs for this to work as expected, including tab
completions showing up in a normal emacs completions buffer.

I'm sure getting this to work with regular emacs is perfectly possible, it's
just that I can't seem to find the magic incantation for that.