[IPython-user] 96% cpu usage with new scipy

Ryan Krauss ryanlists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 08:31:08 CST 2005

I am running IPython 0.6.16.svn with new scipy.  As soon as I start
Ipython, it starts using 96% of the cpu before I type any commands and
it stays that high.  This happens only when I use the -pylab flag, and
it happens whether I set numerix: Numeric, numarray, or scipy.  I am
running matplotlib 0.85.1.cvs and scipy 0.4.3.1478 (new scipy).  It
seems like this is a threading related issue, because if I start
ipython without the -pylab flag and then import pylab and plot
something, my cpu isn't at 96%, but I don't have the lovely ipython
plot threading and have to close all my plots before I can do anything
else.  I have no idea if this is a problem with my system,  ipython,
or matplotlib.  (I don't think it is a new scipy problem, because I
have this same behavior with the other numerix options).  Let me know
if I can get any more information to help track this down.

Thanks,

Ryan