[IPython-user] Re: windows 2000 can't find ipythonrc.ini for anything.

Ville Vainio vivainio at kolumbus.fi
Tue Feb 1 10:06:23 CST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 01:15 -0700, Fernando Perez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> note that you need to be subscribed (or use gmane) to post to the list.  We
> were getting way too much spam.
>
> I'm replying with CC to the list, in the hopes that other win32 users may be
> of help.
>
> ipython-user-bounces at scipy.net wrote:
> > The attached message has been automatically discarded.

> > Subject: windows 2000 can't find ipythonrc.ini for anything.
> > From: actuary77 <actuary77 at comcast.net>
> > Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:17:02 -0600
> > To: ipython-user at scipy.net
> >
> > I am using windows 2000.
> >
> > My "HOME" dir is c:\home.
> >
> > I have set environment variable IPYTHONDIR to c:\home\.ipython
> >
> > I have a file "c:\home\.ipython\ipythonrc.ini" with configuration options.
> >
> > Color is working.
> >
> > Options from the command line work e.g.
> >
> >     ipython.py -colors LightBG -pprint   -->>>  gives me color
> >
> > However, I can't get IPython to load ini file.  With environment
> > variable set, shouldn't config file load with simply ipython.py form the
> > command line?  (I have .py files set as executible)

Editing a config file on windows prevents it from loading. This is
possibly a cr/lf issue - windows editors break the format somehow. I
originally edited my .ini file in Linux and use the same config in
Windows, which works. Perhaps creating a new config file from scratch
could help?

Perhaps ipython could be a bit more verbose about failed config file
parsing...

I'll try to look into this.